Throughout the last few years weight loss apps have grown in popularity. Fast forward to today, people around the world rely on them because they are useful. As more and more people find out how useful they can be, the apps are expected to continue to grow.
Although there’s no shortage of weight loss apps, there are two that have dominated and continue to dominate the market. Those two weight loss apps are Noom and MyFitnessPal. Each one offers an array of features, as well as pricing options.
Before you decide which app to try, you’ll want to read the rest of this article, as it will discuss the key differences between the two.
1. Noom: An Overview
Noom is a weight loss app that was launched back in 2008 and it was developed by professionals such as personal trainers, behavioral psychologists and nutritionists.
The app can be used by anyone, but the targeted market is mainly millennials.
Furthermore, Noom is a bit different than many other weight loss apps there because it focuses on encouraging users to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable and tangible; Whereas other apps focus on different styles of eating such as cutting out carbs or specific food groups or focused on cutting out certain nutrients.
Noom: Key Features
- Coaching that helps you set both long-term and short term goals
- Personalized feedback based on your activity and progress, which is tracked via the app
- A tracker to keep tabs on your weight, exercise routine, blood sugar, blood pressure and food
- Access to interactive content, such as hundreds of new articles and guides
- Tech that helps you identify your challenges
- Custom workout plans
- Custom meal plans
- Database of food
- Step counter
Bear in mind that the above are only a handful of features that Noom offers. Remember, as previously mentioned Noom was developed by an array of professionals.
This is one of the reasons the weight loss app has become one of the best weight loss apps in the world.
How to Join
The first thing you need to do is click on the signup link, and then you’ll be asked a series of questions such as what your social habits are, your weight loss goals, your weight, height and how fast you are wanting to lose weight.
You’ll also be asked a few basic medical questions. All of these questions are important because once Noom has the answers, they’ll create a personalized plan.
Not only that, but you’ll be told how long it will approximately take to reach your goals.
Next, you’ll start your two week trial, as well as go through the process of setting up the app on your phone. Don’t worry because this is easy to do. Noom provides you with step-by-step instructions.
It’s also worth mentioning that Noom does offer a free trial period. You can use the app for two weeks, completely free. This should be enough time to determine whether or not Noom is right for you.
Generally speaking, the entire signing up process is fast, easy and straightforward.
2. MyFitnessPal: An Overview
MyFitnessPal is a few years older than Noom, as it was developed and launched back in 2005, but in 2015 Under Armour acquired the app. It was created to help people track their daily beverage and food intake, as well as calculate calories, vitamins and nutrients.
MyFitnessPal can be used via an app, but they also have a website that users can use.
MyFitnessPal is packed with quality features. The top features of the app include:
- Barcode Scanner
- Track foods you’re eating
- Set macro-nutrient and calories goals
- Excellent customer support
- Exercise tracker
- Link MyFitnessPal account with various apps
Those are the key features of MyFitnessPal. There are many other features that weren’t discussed. However, those are the top ones.
How to Join
Joining is simple, as all you do is create an account. At any given time you can upgrade to a premium account, which gives you access to more features.
When you join MyFitnessPal, you’ll provide some basic info about yourself and then you’ll download the app. The entire process is doesn’t take long and the free account lets you set daily calorie goals, choose macro-nutrient goals and log the number of calories you’ve consumed.
The limited version of MyFitnessPal does have advertisements that show up. If you upgrade to the premium version, then you’ll enjoy an ad-free experience. Regardless if you choose premium or free, you’ll love what MyFitnessPal Has to offer.
Noom vs MyFitnessPal: Price Comparison
Below is a price comparison of Noom and MyFitnessPal:
- MyFitnessPal: The weight loss app offers a totally free account, but you’ll only have access to a few features, such as tracking, calories, food, weight, activity and so forth. With a paid premium account, you’ll have access to all of the features and a premium account doesn’t cost that much. To be more specific, you can pay $9.99 per month or you can pay $49.99 annually.
- Noom: Although there is no free version of Noom, the app does have a two-week free trial period. During this period you can use all of the features, and after the two-week period is up you’ll be switched to a paid account. This will cost you $49 per month, and you’ll have access one-on-one coaching, on top of all the other premium features.
As you can see, both MyFitnessPal and Noom are quite affordable. However, you get more with Noom and the two-week trial period gives you plenty of time to test the app out. A
fter your two weeks is up, you can decide whether or not to continue to use Noom. If you do decide, then you’ll start being billed until you cancel.
Noom and MyFitnessPal Features Comparison
Both apps have great features, and offer similar features. However, let’s compare their key features and differences below:
- Coaching: First, the main difference between Noom and MyFitnessPal is coaching. As previously mentioned a number of times, Noom offers one-on-one coaching, which can help you achieve results faster. You’ll be able to ask a coach any question you have and you can have a coach review your meal plan, diet and recipes. At the time of this writing, MyFitnessPal does not offer coaching in its premium plan.
- Tracking Calories: Both Noom and MyFitnessPal tracks calories, but Noom is much more accurate. Not only that, but you can easily integrate Noom with an activity tracker. When it comes to tracking calories, you need a tool that is accurate and one that allows you to enter various types of foods you’ve ate throughout the day; And Noom lets you do just that.
- Free Trial: Noom also beats MyFitnessPal in terms of free trials. As previously mentioned, MyFitnessPal offers a free version of the app, but the free version is very limited and you have to upgrade to the paid version to access all features. With Noom, you have two full weeks of access to all of its features and then you can decide whether or not the app is right for you. The creators of Noom are confident that you’ll enjoy the app so much that you’ll upgrade after you’ve tested it out.
- Experts: Although experts have created both apps, Noom was developed by an array of professionals. As stated earlier, nutritionists, trainers and behavioral psychologists have all played a role in creating Noom. That is a lot of knowledge that have gone into Noom, therefore you are in good hands when you use the app.
- User Support: Sure, MyFitnessPal and Noom both offer user support to their users. However, Noom is known for providing much faster support. If you have any questions or concerns or you have an issue, then simply reach out to Noom’s support team and they’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Generally speaking, you should receive a response within a day or two, but this depends on how many other inquires they’ve received prior to received your inquiry.
The bottom line is Noom beats My FitnessPal when it comes to features. MyFitnessPal is packed with great features. However, Noom is a bit better in regards to features and quality of features.
MyFitnessPal doesn’t include coaching with its paid plan, but Noom does. If you want one-on-one coaching, then Noom is what you should be using. Sure, MyFitnessPal offers a lot for your money, but it Noom provides users with health coaching.
Many people may find that losing weight and staying motivated is easier when they have a health coach they can speak with.
As you can see, joining either MyFitnessPal or Noom is easy to do and both apps are packed with features to help you lose weight. They both are relatively affordable, simple to use and have a lot to offer.
However, the more complete app is Noom. If you want to use a great app to help you lose weight, then look no further than the Noom app.