Throughout the last few years weight loss apps have grown in popularity. Fast forward to today, people around the world rely on them because they are useful. As more and more people find out how useful they can be, the apps are expected to continue to grow.
Although there’s no shortage of weight loss apps, there are two that have dominated and continue to dominate the market. Those two weight loss apps are Noom and MyFitnessPal. Each one offers an array of features, as well as pricing options.
Before you decide which app to try, you’ll want to read the rest of this article, as it will discuss the key differences between the two.
1. Noom: An Overview
Noom is a weight loss app that was launched back in 2008 and it was developed by professionals such as personal trainers, behavioral psychologists and nutritionists.
The app can be used by anyone, but the targeted market is mainly millennials.
Furthermore, Noom is a bit different than many other weight loss apps there because it focuses on encouraging users to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable and tangible; Whereas other apps focus on different styles of eating such as cutting out carbs or specific food groups or focused on cutting out certain nutrients.
Noom: Key Features
- Coaching that helps you set both long-term and short term goals
- Personalized feedback based on your activity and progress, which is tracked via the app
- A tracker to keep tabs on your weight, exercise routine, blood sugar, blood pressure and food
- Access to interactive content, such as hundreds of new articles and guides
- Tech that helps you identify your challenges
- Custom workout plans
- Custom meal plans
- Database of food
- Step counter
Bear in mind that the above are only a handful of features that Noom offers. Remember, as previously mentioned Noom was developed by an array of professionals.
This is one of the reasons the weight loss app has become one of the best weight loss apps in the world.
How to Join
The first thing you need to do is click on the signup link, and then you’ll be asked a series of questions such as what your social habits are, your weight loss goals, your weight, height and how fast you are wanting to lose weight.
You’ll also be asked a few basic medical questions. All of these questions are important because once Noom has the answers, they’ll create a personalized plan.
Not only that, but you’ll be told how long it will approximately take to reach your goals.
Next, you’ll start your two week trial, as well as go through the process of setting up the app on your phone. Don’t worry because this is easy to do. Noom provides you with step-by-step instructions.
It’s also worth mentioning that Noom does offer a free trial period. You can use the app for two weeks, completely free. This should be enough time to determine whether or not Noom is right for you.
Generally speaking, the entire signing up process is fast, easy and straightforward.
2. MyFitnessPal: An Overview
MyFitnessPal is a few years older than Noom, as it was developed and launched back in 2005, but in 2015 Under Armour acquired the app. It was created to help people track their daily beverage and food intake, as well as calculate calories, vitamins and nutrients.
MyFitnessPal can be used via an app, but they also have a website that users can use.
MyFitnessPal is packed with quality features. The top features of the app include:
- Barcode Scanner
- Track foods you’re eating
- Set macro-nutrient and calories goals
- Excellent customer support
- Exercise tracker
- Link MyFitnessPal account with various apps
Those are the key features of MyFitnessPal. There are many other features that weren’t discussed. However, those are the top ones.
How to Join
Joining is simple, as all you do is create an account. At any given time you can upgrade to a premium account, which gives you access to more features.
When you join MyFitnessPal, you’ll provide some basic info about yourself and then you’ll download the app. The entire process is doesn’t take long and the free account lets you set daily calorie goals, choose macro-nutrient goals and log the number of calories you’ve consumed.
The limited version of MyFitnessPal does have advertisements that show up. If you upgrade to the premium version, then you’ll enjoy an ad-free experience. Regardless if you choose premium or free, you’ll love what MyFitnessPal Has to offer.
Noom vs MyFitnessPal: Price Comparison
Below is a price comparison of Noom and MyFitnessPal:
- MyFitnessPal: The weight loss app offers a totally free account, but you’ll only have access to a few features, such as tracking, calories, food, weight, activity and so forth. With a paid premium account, you’ll have access to all of the features and a premium account doesn’t cost that much. To be more specific, you can pay $9.99 per month or you can pay $49.99 annually.
- Noom: Although there is no free version of Noom, the app does have a two-week free trial period. During this period you can use all of the features, and after the two-week period is up you’ll be switched to a paid account. This will cost you $49 per month, and you’ll have access one-on-one coaching, on top of all the other premium features.
As you can see, both MyFitnessPal and Noom are quite affordable. However, you get more with Noom and the two-week trial period gives you plenty of time to test the app out. A
fter your two weeks is up, you can decide whether or not to continue to use Noom. If you do decide, then you’ll start being billed until you cancel.
Noom and MyFitnessPal Features Comparison
Both apps have great features, and offer similar features. However, let’s compare their key features and differences below:
- Coaching: First, the main difference between Noom and MyFitnessPal is coaching. As previously mentioned a number of times, Noom offers one-on-one coaching, which can help you achieve results faster. You’ll be able to ask a coach any question you have and you can have a coach review your meal plan, diet and recipes. At the time of this writing, MyFitnessPal does not offer coaching in its premium plan.
- Tracking Calories: Both Noom and MyFitnessPal tracks calories, but Noom is much more accurate. Not only that, but you can easily integrate Noom with an activity tracker. When it comes to tracking calories, you need a tool that is accurate and one that allows you to enter various types of foods you’ve ate throughout the day; And Noom lets you do just that.
- Free Trial: Noom also beats MyFitnessPal in terms of free trials. As previously mentioned, MyFitnessPal offers a free version of the app, but the free version is very limited and you have to upgrade to the paid version to access all features. With Noom, you have two full weeks of access to all of its features and then you can decide whether or not the app is right for you. The creators of Noom are confident that you’ll enjoy the app so much that you’ll upgrade after you’ve tested it out.
- Experts: Although experts have created both apps, Noom was developed by an array of professionals. As stated earlier, nutritionists, trainers and behavioral psychologists have all played a role in creating Noom. That is a lot of knowledge that have gone into Noom, therefore you are in good hands when you use the app.
- User Support: Sure, MyFitnessPal and Noom both offer user support to their users. However, Noom is known for providing much faster support. If you have any questions or concerns or you have an issue, then simply reach out to Noom’s support team and they’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Generally speaking, you should receive a response within a day or two, but this depends on how many other inquires they’ve received prior to received your inquiry.
The bottom line is Noom beats My FitnessPal when it comes to features. MyFitnessPal is packed with great features. However, Noom is a bit better in regards to features and quality of features.
MyFitnessPal doesn’t include coaching with its paid plan, but Noom does. If you want one-on-one coaching, then Noom is what you should be using. Sure, MyFitnessPal offers a lot for your money, but it Noom provides users with health coaching.
Many people may find that losing weight and staying motivated is easier when they have a health coach they can speak with.
As you can see, joining either MyFitnessPal or Noom is easy to do and both apps are packed with features to help you lose weight. They both are relatively affordable, simple to use and have a lot to offer.
However, the more complete app is Noom. If you want to use a great app to help you lose weight, then look no further than the Noom app.
Losing weight isn’t easy, but it can be a lot more simple with the help of the right weight loss apps. An app can provide guidance and accountability as you work to change your habits. These apps allow you to track your progress and give dieters access to essential information.
Of course, one weight loss app isn’t as good as another. If you are going to be using an app, it’s essential that you choose a high-quality app that will help you to reach your goals. Both Noom and Lose It! are apps that have received a lot of positive attention.
These apps were designed by experts and have helped many people see results.
If you’re trying to decide between these two apps, it’s best to take a closer look at what both apps have to offer. From there, you’ll be able to find the app that’s the best fit for your needs:
Noom: An Overview
Noom is a unique weight loss and health app that was developed by both nutritionists and behavioral psychologists. The app is designed to encourage people to make positive and lasting changes to their diets.
Rather than telling people to dramatically reduce their calorie intake or cut out long lists of foods, Noom helps people to identify the best foods to eat.
Studies have shown that long-term changes are key for weight loss, and that is what Noom is designed for. Noom can help people to break bad habits and improve their overall well-being. In addition to the version of Noom that was made to support healthy weight loss, there is a version designed to help diabetics make better Noom choices.
Noom offers a wide array of features, including:
- A personalized plan that is designed to help users meet weight loss goals
- Exercise, weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar logging
- One-on-one coaching
- The ability to track foods by scanning bar codes
- Interactive quizzes and articles that can teach users more about healthy eating
- A moderated group chat with other Noom users
- Searchable recipes
- A massive food database
Noom gives users a brand new way to categorize food.
Instead of telling people that they can’t eat certain types of foods, it divides foods into three categories: green, yellow, and red. Green foods are the healthiest choices; these are foods that should make up the bulk of a diet. Yellow foods are still healthy but should be eaten in moderation. Red foods tend to be unhealthy, and should also be eaten as treats.
Through this system, users can learn how to make better choices about what they eat. For example, if a user chooses to have red food, like pizza, for lunch, they can make sure that they eat healthier green foods for dinner.
Noom’s database already includes thousands of foods, and you can add new foods when you log what you eat.
How to Join Noom
If you want to join Noom, you’ll want to start by downloading the app. The app is available in both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. Once the app has downloaded, you’ll want to create an account or sign in using an existing account.
If you’re new to Noom, you’ll be able to take advantage of a 14-day trial before you make a commitment. This will give you the opportunity to test out the app and see if it works for you. When joining, you’ll be asked to answer a few questions so that Noom can develop the right plan for you. You’ll also have to choose the type of plan that you want to sign up for.
Lose It!: An Overview
Lose It! is an app that allows you to set goals and track foods so that you can lose weight. The app allows you to set more specific goals, like macronutrient goals, and also allows you to track the amount of water that you drink each day.
This is a simple, easy-to-use app that allows you to create new goals once you’ve managed to hit the goals that you’ve already set.
With the app, you’ll be able to set a daily calorie budget and make sure you stay within that budget.
- Device integration
- Behavior and progress reports
- Log foods by scanning bar codes or taking pictures
- Flexibility when setting weight-loss goals
The goal of Lose It! is to make the weight loss process simple. The app will ask you questions and will help you to set personalized goals that you’ll be able to reach.
Because you’ll be able to change goals over time, this app can be used on a long-term basis.
How to Join Lose It!
The Lose It! weight loss app is available on both Apple and Android devices. If you want to join, just download the app and create an account. There are two versions of Lose It! One version is free to use, but the premium version requires a subscription.
Price Comparison: Which App is Cheaper?
The cost of Noom will vary based on the payment schedule you choose. The cheapest version, which is the annual auto-recurring plan, costs $199 a year. If you opt for the monthly auto-recurring plan, you’ll be paying $59 a month.
Remember, if you’d like to try out Noom without making a financial commitment, you can try it for free for $14 days.
The premium version of Lose It! costs $39.99 a year, making it the cheaper of the two options. The free version costs even less than that: absolutely nothing. However, it’s important to note that the free version has very limited features.
Although Lose It! is the cheaper of the two options, Noom offers you a lot more for your money. The behavior-changing tools that Noom offers can’t be found anywhere else, and you may find that these tools are worth paying more for.
It’s also important to remember that many of the people that use Noom don’t need to use it for a full year. Noom is designed to educate people and help them to change their habits. Many Noom users may only choose to use the app for two months, which would bring total costs to $99.
You should think about your goals if you’re trying to choose the option that makes the most financial sense for you.
If you’re simply looking for a basic app that will allow you to track your daily calorie intake, Lose It! may work well for you. However, even the premium version of the app is light on features when compared to Noom.
Noom offers all of the features that Lose It! provides, as well as many other impressive features that can really aid in weight loss, like one-on-one coaching. Being a part of a group chat can also be a great way to stay accountable.
If you’re looking for a well-rounded weight-loss app, Noom is the clear winner.
Summary: Is There a Clear Winner?
Both Noom and Lose It! are well-designed apps that can help people to lose weight in a healthy way. However, when it comes to features, Noom is the clear winner.
There’s not another weight loss app that can deliver everything that Nook offers. Because behavioral psychologists helped to develop the app, Noom can help people that have struggled to lose weight in the past.
Since it’s possible to try both apps for free, there’s no reason not to give both Noom and Lose It! a try.
With that said, we think that Noom is your best option if you’re serious about losing weight and changing your diet.
In the world of meal delivery diets, two names stand as the leaders of the pack: Nutrisytem and South Beach Diet. Both of these diet delivery programs have established themselves as two of the best diet delivery options available, but each one brings something different to the table.
That often leaves people wondering which one is the better choice for them.
In this Nutrisytem vs. South Beach Diet comparison, we’ll take a hard look at what each of these diets has to offer, so you can officially decide which one is going to work best for you.
We’ll be examining key differences, including:
- Price Comparison
- Features Comparison
- Menu + Food Comparison
By the end of the article, you’ll hopefully be able to easily decide whether Nutrisytem is the right fit, or if South Beach Diet would be the better choice for you.
Ready to get started? Great, let’s do it…
Nutrisystem (read our Nutrisystem review) is our top-rated diet delivery program for this year, so we’ll start with them. If you’re looking for the best-selling meal delivery diet in the world, this is it.
The reason for the popularity?
- It works
- It’s affordable
- They’ve been in the business for decades now.
It’s really as simple as that. Nutrisystem works, and it works well for those who stick with it. On top of that, they have a very long and established track record of success, and their plan is pretty affordable when compared to the competition, or your average grocery bill.
Here’s a closer look at how it works:
- Pick Your Plan of Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, and Snacks (28 Day Supply)
- You’ll get a Meal Plan that Features the Right Mix of Nutrients, Fiber, Low-Glycemic Carbs and Calories to Fuel Your Weight Loss
- Eat Every 2-3 Hours: 6 Times per Day
- Weekly Flex Meals Built in: Dinners at Home or at Restaurants (Nutrisystem has Free Guides for Both Options)
During your first week on Nutrisystem you’ll kickstart your weight loss with a special selection of meals and snacks. These are designed by the Nutrisystem team to help you maximize your weight loss during the first 7 days.
After that, you’ll continue to lose weight as long as you stick with the plan. That means eating Nutrisystem meals, snacks, as well as your flex meals.
South Beach Diet Overview
South Beach Diet (Read our South Beach Diet Review & Cost Report) is very similar to Nutrisystem, and that’s probably because they’re produced by the same company. But while the meal delivery component may look nearly identical, South Beach Diet sticks to the founding principles of Dr. Arthur Agatston.
To that end, it rolls out in three key phases:
- Phase 1: The 14-Day Body Reboot: This is the most restrictive phase of the South Beach Diet, and is often the time when you can see the most weight loss. At last check, they said folks could lose up to 7 pounds during their first 7 days of the program. Expect to limit carbs, starchy vegetables, and other “junk” food during this phase. Even alcohol is completely off-limits during Phase 1.
- Phase 2: Steady Weight Loss: Once you’ve completed the Reboot phase, you’ll slowly re-introduce some of the carbs and other foods that were off-limits during Phase 1. South Beach Diet is largely considered to be low-carb, though, so you won’t be eating giant bowls of pasta if you want reach your goal weight. Expect to lose an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week during Phase 2, until you’ve reached your goal.
- Phase 3: You’ve Got This: This is your chance to put everything you’ve learned during phases 1 and 2 to test: Stick with the healthy eating principles that South Beach Diet instils, and you’ll have a great shot at keeping the weight off.
Beyond the three phases, you’ll eat about 6 times per day on South Beach Diet. The biggest difference between Nutrisystem and South Beach Diet is probably the menu, which we’ll cover in more detail below.
South Beach diet is considered by many to be a low-carb diet, that’s less restrictive than the traditional Atkins or keto plans.
Most folks can expect to lose an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week while following South Beach Diet.
Price Comparison: Which Diet is Cheaper?
When it comes to price, both Nutrisystem and South Beach Diet are considered to be pretty affordable. For a long time, Nutrisystem was the cheaper of the two, but right now, you can actually get South Beach Diet for less money, if you locking the 50% off discount we have access to.
Here’s a look at what they’re entry level plans start at, to give you an idea of the pricing difference between the two:
- South Beach Diet Silver Plan: Starts at $7.97 per day / $223.07 per month
- Nutrisystem Basic Plan: Starts at $8.57 per day / $239.99 per month
So as you can see, South Beach Diet is currently the cheaper of the two.
It’s almost a wash, when you look at where their monthly plans start, though, so if you’re trying to decide between the two, I’d recommend letting the menu dictate your decision making.
Here’s a look at what their menus are like.
In terms of food quality, we’d say both the South Beach Diet and Nutrisytem meals are very similar. Remember, they’re made by the same company, so quality is going to pretty much be the same between the two.
The biggest difference between the Nutrisystem and South Beach Diet menus is the type of food you can expect to eat.
- Nutrisystem Menu: American-Style Foods: Pizza, Burgers, Meatloaf, Roasted Turkey and Potatoes, etc.
- South Beach Diet Menu: International-Style Foods: Red Curry Seasoned Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast, Beef and Broccoli, etc.
If you prefer an American-style menu, then Nutrisystem is probably the better fit for you. Want some more international flare? Then we’ suggest visiting South Beach Diet’s website.
Plans for Special Diets
When it comes to menu diversity, and plans that meet a variety of diets, Nutrisystem gets the edge. That’s because Nutrisystem offers a vegetarian menu, and South Beach Diet does not.
Both Nutrisytem and South Beach Diet have plans for people with Type 2 Diabetes, or who are considered pre-diabetic. They recommend working closely with your doctor to decide if you’re healthy enough for either diet, though.
If you’re vegetarian, then Nutrisystem will be your play. Other than that, they both offer diabetes plans, and a variety of pricing options.
Summary: Is There a Clear Winner?
When it comes to declaring a winner between South Beach Diet and Nutrisystem, we’d say it’s pretty much a draw. Both of these meal delivery services are affordable, offer plenty of menu variety, and have been proven to work well for those who stick with the program.
Ultimately, it will be up to you to decide which of these diet menus is most appealing to you.
Like pizza, burgers, and other comfort foods? Visit Nutrisystem’s website.
Want some international flare with your menu? Visit South Beach Diet’s website.